(c. 1761-4. The original Belvoir was a log house replaced by John
Walker with a bigger house in 1764, which was moved to Milton by Francis
Walker (and called Maxfield). An even larger Belvoir house in was built in
1790 and subsequently destroyed by fire in 1836.)
See house on map.
The land was part of the 4,090 acre 1730 patent of Nicholas
Meriwether II (Lucy’s great grandfather), which
also included the Clover Fields, Castle Hill and Cismont land. Lucy’s
great grandmother, Elizabeth Crawford Meriwether left the Belvoir land to her son-in-law, Colonel Robert Lewis
(Lewises of Warner Hall).
Colonel Robert Lewis (b. 1702
– 1765) Representative, House of Burgesses in 1744.
Wife Jane Meriwether, Lucy’s Great Aunt (m.1725)
1830 Tax List – 40 slaves
Colonel John Walker (b. 1744
at Castle Hill - d. 1809) Aide to George Washington, Representative, House of
Burgesses, U.S. Senator.
Wife Elizabeth Moore, granddaughter of Governor Spotswood
1 Child, Mildred, d. 1784, who married Francis Kinloch of South
Eliza Kinloch (only
grandchild) who married Hon. Hugh Nelson (d.1836), son of Governor Thomas
Nelson. U.S. Representative, U.S. Minister to Spain.