Living quarters for free or enslaved workers, and later a textile workshop ca. 1776–ca. 1831
An animated 3D model of the Workmen's House/Textile Workshop. 3D model by Rendersphere, LLC.
This 17 x 34-foot mortared stone structure was one of the earliest on Mulberry Row. From its construction about 1776, the workmen’s house served as living quarters for free or enslaved workers. During the two periods of building and remodeling of the main house (1769–83 and 1796–1809), highly skilled white woodworkers and masons lived here, including brickmasons Hugh Chisholm and Richard Richardsonand joiners James Dinsmore, John Holmes, James Oldham, and John Neilson. During the interval between the construction and remodeling of the main house (1784–96), this building housed enslaved house servants, principally members of the Hemings family.