Workshop for tinsmithing and nail-making, and living quarters for enslaved workers ca. 1790–ca. 1830
Animated 3D model showing what the Nailery (lighter colored building) and the Blacksmith's Shop may have looked like based on physical evidence and historical examples. 3D model by Rendersphere, LLC.
Built around 1793, this 16 x 10.5-foot log structure was primarily “used as a storehouse for nailrod & other iron.” For a brief period in the 1790s, it was the site of a tinsmithing operation containing an anvil and forge. Isaac Granger Jefferson, trained by a Philadelphia tinsmith, recalled that he “carried on the tin business two years” before it failed. Archaeological evidence suggests that this structure also functioned as a small-scale nail-making operation and as living quarters for enslaved workers after the War of 1812.