n. wash house
ca. 1790–ca. 1809
Built around 1790, this structure was “16 ½ f. of wood, the chimney also wood, the floor earth” and served as the laundry for Jefferson’s household. Ursula Granger, an enslaved “pastry cook and washer-woman,” likely performed the laundry duties in this building. By 1809, the wash house moved to the newly completed dependencies in the South Terrace wing.