Skip to main content

You are here

View Places

Jefferson attempted to create an efficient plantation based on new approaches to agriculture and manufacturing. To realize his goals, dozens of enslaved and free workers lived and worked here on Mulberry Row. He added a series of dwellings and workshops to the outbuildings that served his elite household. Structures were built, dismantled, or re-purposed as Jefferson’s needs changed.

After Jefferson’s retirement from the presidency and the completion of Monticello II in 1809, the “dairy,” smokehouse, and wash house moved to the completed South Terrace wing while other buildings were added, torn down, or re-purposed. Free and enslaved workers produced goods in Jefferson’s workshops when trade embargoes during the War of 1812 restricted imports. 

View All Sites: 
Phase III (1810–31)
Featured Sites: 

This structure contained two smokehouses to dry and cure meat as well as a dairy to make butter and cream.
ca. 1790–1809

In addition to storing nailrod, this building also housed a brief tinsmithing operation in the 1790s and a nail-making enterprise after 1812.  It also served as living quarters for enslaved workers.
ca. 1790–ca. 1830

Three identical “servants houses,” were intended for enslaved house servants and artisans, including members of the Hemings family.

Participate

Login or register to participate in our online community.

Header Menu

Primary Menu

Mulberry Row: main nav

Search form