Quotation: "The reason that Christianity is the best friend of Government is because Christianity is the only religion that changes the heart."
- "Christianity is the best friend of government because it deals with the heart."
- "The reason Christianity is the best friend for government is because Christianity deals with the heart."
Sources consulted: Searching on the phrase "best friend of government"
- Monticello website
- Ford's Works of Thomas Jefferson
- L&B (CD-ROM version)
- UVA EText Jefferson Digital Archive: Jeffersonian Cyclopedia, Thomas Jefferson on Politics and Government, Texts by or to Thomas Jefferson from the Modern English Collection
- Thomas Jefferson Retirement Papers
- Quotable Jefferson (searching in the index under "Christianity")
- Bartleby.com: Quotations
Other attributions: None known.
Status: This quotation has not been found in any of the writings of Thomas Jefferson.
- ↑ Steve Russo, Why Celebrate Easter (Nashville, TN: B & H Publishing Group, 2001), 83.
- ↑ To establish the earliest appearance of this phrase in print, the following sources were searched for the phrase, "Christianity is the best friend of government": Google Books, Google Scholar, Amazon.com, Internet Archive, America's Historical Newspapers, American Broadsides and Ephemera Series I, Early American Imprints Series I and II, Early English Books Online, Eighteenth Century Collections Online, 19th Century U.S. Newspapers, American Periodicals Series Online, JSTOR.