TJE Original Title:
Thomas Jefferson visited Annapolis, Maryland three times:
- May 1766. Jefferson was on his way to Philadelphia and New York to inoculate himself from smallpox. He wrote to his friend John Page from Annapolis discussing his trip.
- June 1775. On this trip, Jefferson was on his way to Philadelphia to attend sessions of the Continental Congress.
- December 1783 until May 11, 1784. Jefferson served as a delegate to Congress during this period. (Annapolis was the U.S. capital from November 1783 to August 1784.)
- Dumbauld, Edward. Thomas Jefferson, American Tourist. Norman, Okla.: University of Oklahoma Press, 1946.
- MB. Contains records of Jefferson's purchases and movements while in Annapolis.