Search the Encyclopedia
Common Name: Cypress Vine
Scientific Name: Ipomoea quamoclit (syn. Quamoclit pennata)
Thomas Jefferson was the first person to cite this plant in America. He sent seed from Philadelphia to his two daughters at Monticello in 1791, and it was planted in pots and perhaps intended as a green house plant due to its "abhorrence of cold."This attractive member of the morning glory family, native to tropical America, and noted in Italy in the 1500s, was known among 18th century Virginia gardeners. Philadelphia nurseryman Bernard McMahon offered seed for sale in 1804, calling it "Wing'd leaved Ipomoea."
The true cypress vine is often confused with a related species, cardinal climber (Ipomoea coccinea), which does not have the distinctive lacy foliage. Cypress is a summer-flowering, annual vine with slender, bright scarlet, star-shaped flowers and delicate, lacy, deep green foliage.
Primary Source References
- ↑ This section is based on a Center for Historic Plant Information Sheet.
- ↑ Denise Wiles Adams, Restoring American Gardens: An Encyclopedia of Heirloom Ornamental Plants, 1640-1940 (Portland, Oregon: Timber Press, Inc., 2004), 144.
- ↑ Lawrence D. Griffith, Flowers and Herbs of Early America (New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2008), 48. For Jefferson letters, see Betts, Garden Book, 155 and 161. See also Edwin M. Betts, Hazlehurst Bolton Perkins, and Peter J. Hatch. Thomas Jefferson's Flower Garden at Monticello, 3rd ed. (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1986), 63-64.
- ↑ Please note that this list should not be considered comprehensive.
- ↑ PTJ, 18:500.
- ↑ Betts, Garden Book, 353.
- ↑ Ibid, 363.
- Cornett, Peggy. "Jefferson's Vines of Summer: Beauties and Beasts." Twinleaf, January 1994
- Griffith, Lawrence D. Flowers and Herbs of Early America. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2008
- Leighton, Ann. American Gardens in the Eighteenth Century. Amherst: The University of Massachusetts Press, 1986
- Seeds available for purchase at Monticello Museum Shop
- Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants