Created: c. 1810
Origin/Purchase: Monticello Joinery
Dimensions: 58.4 x 41 x 22.5 (23 x 16 1/8 x 8 7/8 in.)
Location: Monticello Visitor Center
Provenance: Thomas Jefferson; by descent to Francis Eppes; by purchase to William Cobbs; by descent to Mr. and Mrs. Charles S. Adams; by gift to the Thomas Jefferson Foundation in 1977
Accession Number: 1977-55
Historical Notes: This hanging shelf with decorative pierced and scrolled fretwork is attributed to the Monticello joinery and was made for Poplar Forest. The large astragal molding is characteristic of Monticello-made works. In the eighteenth century decorative shelves such as this one were often used to hold busts or clocks.