Photographic Reproduction Guidelines
Contact Amy Atticks, (434) 984-7529
Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc., is pleased to make available 35 mm color slides, 8x10 black-and-white or color prints, and 4x5 color transparencies of the Monticello house, grounds, and collections. Please familiarize yourself with the following guidelines before placing your order.
Requests for photographs for research or publication must be submitted in writing. Photographs will be sent as soon as an application is approved, an agreement form is completed and signed, and the appropriate fees are paid. Requests will normally be filled within two weeks of receipt of payment. For expedited service, additional fees are applicable. Written requests may be sent to Marketing and Communications , P.O. Box 217, Charlottesville, VA, 22902; phone (434) 984-7529; fax (434) 984-7546.
The Foundation does not allow Monticello's name or image to be used for any non-Foundation advertising.
II. Reproduction and Publication Policy
- No photograph or image of Monticello, its grounds, or collections may be published or reproduced without prior written permission and payment of applicable fees.
- All photographs or images must bear the requisite credit listed on the image, or if none is stated, "Monticello/Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc."
- Permission to reproduce is granted on a one-time basis only as specified by the Foundation, and does not include exclusive rights. Any additional, subsequent, or different use of the image (including, but not limited to, subsequent editions, book club or paperback editions, dust jackets, cover, endpapers, use in a broadcast or print advertisement, CD-ROM editions, redistribution in additional languages, sale of broadcast productions as videos for the home market, etc.) constitutes a reuse and requires additional application and permission, as well as payment of applicable reuse fees. The Foundation reserves the right to review written text before release of the image is approved.
- One copy of each publication or video (unless otherwise stated) in which the image of Monticello, its grounds, or collections appears must be sent to the Foundation free of charge for archival use.
III. Photographic Use Fees Per Image
The following fees cover three-month rental of an image and permission to use the image in the format/medium approved by the Foundation:
- Basic Rights provide a one-time, non-exclusive use of the image(s) in one product distributed in one format/medium in one language in North America.
Extended Rights provide the basic rights plus worldwide distribution in multiple languages in one format/medium
Two Formats/Media Distribution provide either basic or extended distribution rights in two formats/media for the use/product specified.
Multiple Formats/Media Distribution provide either basic or extended distribution rights in multiple formats/media for the use/product specified.
- Personal Use For Individual Private Use, not to be copied or reproduced in any form.
Editorial Use In Print Publications, Film/Video, Broadcast, or Electronic Media, Exhibition Use, Public Lectures, Classroom Instruction, or Business Presentations.
Commercial Use When the image is the product. This use is approved on a case-by-case basis.
IV. New Photography Fees
Requests for new photography of objects in the Foundation's collection are considered on a case-by-case basis. If such requests can be accommodated, they will incur a fee in addition to the use fees quoted above. The new photography fee covers the costs associated with moving, preparing, and photographing the object(s).
- Two-dimensional objects $150
- Three-dimensional objects $300
V. Rental of Monticello Footage
Requests to rent high-quality Beta footage of Monticello are granted under the same conditions applied to still photographs. Exterior and interior footage is available for one-time broadcast use at a cost of $200/minute. Different uses are subject to additional fees. "Journey Films/Monticello" must be credited. A rundown of footage is available.
VI. Return of Photos
Photos must be returned to the Monticello Communications Officer, P.O. Box 217, Charlottesville, VA, 22902, by the end of the three-month rental period. No refunds will be made for unused photos.
Return of photos after the three-month loan period ends will result in a holding fee of $10 per month. A replacement charge will be imposed for the loss or damage of borrowed materials.
Guidelines last revised 10/22/98, contact information updated 8/19/2010