A pair of green-tinted spectacles is on display in the Monticello Visitors Center. These are believed to have belonged to Thomas Jefferson, although we do not know precisely what he used them for. According to Silvio Bedini, tinted glasses first appeared around 1810. They were not typically used as sunglasses as we might think of them, but "to improve the vision out of doors."1
1. Silvio Bedini to Lucia Goodwin, March 22, 1986. Copy in Jefferson Library Information File: Health & Medicine - Spectacles.