Guide to Requesting Books Online
From your computer, you can:
- Place a hold on an item that is checked out, so you are notified when it is returned
- Recall an item that is checked out
- Generate a call slip to request a book from a departmental library or an item from Special Collections
- Request an item that is not owned by the Jefferson Library
Placing a Request
First, you must find the item you'd like to request in the Portal. Once you are looking at the item record:
- Click on Request at the top of the screen
- Choose the type of request you want to submit in the drop down menu: Hold, Recall, or Call Slip
- Choose which copy you want, if prompted
- Type in your patron bar code (from the back of your library card)
- Type in any notes if necessary
- Click Submit Request
If the item you want is not owned by the Jefferson Library, you may submit an Interlibrary Loan Request to obtain it from another library.
Tracking Your Requests
You can track your requests by logging in to My Portal and looking under Request Information.
Holds: You will see what position you are at in the Hold list. Once the book arrives, you will see Reference Desk in the Pickup Location box. Note: Material will be on hold for 7 days. The length of time it takes to receive a hold item depends on the current borrower.
Recall: You will see what position you are at in the Recall list. Once the book arrives, you will see Reference Desk in the Pickup Location box. Note: The recall request will last 30 days and you have 7 days to pick up the item. Recalled items should be received within a week of the request.
Call Slip: The material is ready when the Pick Up location appears. If there are any problems, it will show up online and you may cancel the request. Depending on where the requested item is located, call slips are usually filled within a week.