University of Virginia by Maverick (Engraving)
This article is awaiting reformatting.
Artist/Maker: Peter Maverick (1780-1831), engraver, after a drawing by John Neilson (d. 1827)
Created: 1825 (second edition)
Origin/Purchase: New York
Materials: line engraving
Dimensions: 46.4 x 51.8 (18 1/4 x 20 3/8 in.)
Location: Library (Book Room)
Provenance: Thomas Jefferson Foundation
Historical Notes: Jefferson's plan for the buildings and grounds at the University of Virginia, published first in 1822 and again in 1825, reveals his innovative design for an "academical village." With his assistance of the architects Benjamin Latrobe and William Thornton, Jefferson designed a complex of buildings for functional and didactic purposes. He disliked the large institutional buildings of other American universities, such as his alma mater, the College of William and Mary:
"Large houses are always ugly, inconvenient, exposed to the accident of fire, and bad in case of infection. A plain small house for the school and lodging of each professor is best...in fact an University should not be an house but a village."
At the center of Jefferson's plan of the university is the Rotunda, modeled after the Roman pantheon and intended by Jefferson to be used as a library. Flanking it are two parallel rows of five pavilions, each with school rooms on the lower floors and housing for the professor and his family above. All ten pavilions have a different classical facade, "so as to serve as specimens for the Architectural lectures." Connecting the pavilions are single-celled dormitory rooms fronted by a colonnade, so that the students can be protected from the weather as they walk between classes. The pavilions and dormitories open onto a shared "lawn" and behind the pavilions are private yards and gardens enclosed by serpentine walls. The two outer "ranges" consist of six "hotels," or dining halls also connected by dormitories.
Construction at the university was ongoing in 1821 when the Board of Visitors of the university ordered the engraving of a plan for sale to the public; only six of the ten pavilions were complete, and the Rotunda had yet to be begun. The sculptor William Coffee, who was working at Monticello at the time, recommended to Jefferson the New York engraver Peter Maverick, and he acted as intermediary between them. In the summer of 1821 Coffee carried to Maverick a plan of the university that was probably drawn by John Neilson, a skilled house joiner who worked for Jefferson at Monticello, Poplar Forest, and the university.
Jefferson received the first printing of 250 plans from Maverick on December 7, 1822, along with his bill totaling $150 for engraving, printing, paper, and shipping. Maverick retained the copperplate, at Jefferson's instruction, for future impressions. In the fall of 1824, when the university's opening was imminent and construction was nearing an end, the engraved plans were again in demand. Jefferson wrote to Maverick requesting a second set of 200 engravings with a few alterations to the original design. He asked that the pavilions and dormitories be numbered, that an additional room be added to the end of the West Range (room no. 55) and that the Rotunda portico be connected to the upper level of the lawn terraces. Maverick executed these changes and sent 250 engravings (50 more than requested) to Virginia. Jefferson recorded paying for one of the revised plans on March 29, 1825.` Its whereabouts today are unknown.
- ↑ This article is based on Stein, Worlds, 196.
- ↑ Thomas Jefferson to L.W. Tazewell, January 5, 1805. Thomas Jefferson Papers. University of Virginia.
- ↑ Jefferson to William Thornton, May 9, 1817. Ibid.
- ↑ Jefferson to William Coffee, November 22, 1821. Thomas Jefferson Papers. Library of Congress. Polygraph copy available online; Edwin M. Betts, Groundplans and Prints of the University of Virginia, 1822-1826," Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, 90 (May 1946): 81.
- ↑ Richard Cote, "The Architectural Workmen of Thomas Jefferson in Virginia" (Ph.D. Diss., Boston University, 1986), 88-89. In the past this drawing has been attributed to Jefferson.
- ↑ Maverick sent his first proof of the work to Jefferson on November 12, 1822. Peter Maverick to Jefferson, November 12, 1822. Thomas Jefferson Papers. Massachusetts Historical Society. When asked what type of paper to use Jefferson responded, "Perhaps you can decide what is best on my information that the prints are intended for frames." Jefferson to Maverick, November 20, 1822, Ibid.
- ↑ MB, 2:1410.
- University of Virginia Board of Visitors. "University of Virginia Lawn: Maverick Plan of University of Virginia 1825." University of Virginia Library. http://repo.lib.virginia.edu:18080/fedora/get/uva-lib:81674/uva-lib-bdef:100/getFullView/