Although the date of its construction is not known, this structure was recorded as “a servant’s house 14. f. by 17. f. of wood, with a wooden chimney, the floor of earth” in 1796. Demolished by 1830, this building likely housed enslaved people.
Digital Archaeological Archive of Comparative Slavery
Learn more about archaeological research at Monticello and the latest findings at site from the Chesapeake to the Carribean.
TAKE A TOUR
Learn about the enslaved people who lived and worked on Mulberry Row, the dynamic industrial hub of the Monticello plantation.