Archaeological investigation confirmed the existence of two Jefferson-era structures, a wash house dating to ca. 1790 and a stone slave dwelling erected ca. 1809. A headstone along with a plaque dedicated in 1984 marks the burial location of Rachel Phillips Levy. A wash house that was previously at this location was demolished, a 17.5 x 20.5-foot dwelling of mortared local stone was erected in its place. Likely a dwelling for enslaved house servants, this structure was probably built by the hired stonemason William Maddox in the winter of 1808–09. Elisha Watkins, a hired carpenter with three enslaved assistants, installed the shingled roof, which was “hipped every way.”
In 1839, Monticello's later owner Uriah Phillips Levy partially dismantled the walls of the stone house to enclose the grave of his mother, Rachel Phillips Levy, who died at Monticello in 1839.
TAKE A TOUR
Learn about the enslaved people who lived and worked on Mulberry Row, the dynamic industrial hub of the Monticello plantation.