You are here
Find out what the Thomas Jefferson Foundation as well as Monticello staff members and guest bloggers have to say about Jefferson and Monticello.
The Restoration Department recently brought in conservator Andy Compton to restore the composition ornament on the Hall fireplace mantel frieze. Composition ornament (or “compo”) is a putty-like material made from chalk, linseed oil, hide glue and pine rosin. When warm, it can be pressed into...MORE »
Just before Thanksgiving, the Restoration Department at Monticello undertook a project to repaint the Tea Room for the first time in decades. The room, used by Thomas Jefferson, his family, and guests for entertaining, reading, writing, and occasionally dining, is also where he displayed his "...MORE »
Begun in 1768, the South Pavilion is the first brick building built on Monticello’s mountaintop, and the first home of Thomas Jefferson and his wife Martha after they were married in 1772. It has one particular identifying feature that separates it from other buildings: the roof. Originally...MORE »