You are here
Southeast Piazza (Greenhouse)
Purpose of Room: greenhouse for growing plants; location of Thomas Jefferson's workbench, where he is known to have made locks and chains; possibly home to a pet mockingbird
Furnishings of Note: work table and tools, as well as flowers, seeds, and flats for sprouting seeds
Primary Source References
1780s. (Isaac Jefferson). "My Old Master was neat a hand as ever you see to make keys and locks and small chains, iron and brass. He kept all kind of blacksmith and carpenter tools in a great case with shelves to it in his library ... been up thar a thousand times; used to car coal up thar. Old Master had a couple of small bellowses up thar."1
1808 December 8. (Jefferson to Ann Cary Randolph Bankhead). "... in fact the Mimosa Nilotica & Orange are the only things I have ever proposed to have in my Green house."4
1828 August 10. (Mary Jefferson Randolph to Ellen Wayles Randolph Coolidge). "Then we have the sitting room adjoining in which two more can be comfortably lodged, and the green house a very convenient little appendage to our bed chambers."8
- Massachusetts Historical Society. Thomas Jefferson Papers: An Electronic Archive. Monticello: piazza, , by Thomas Jefferson. N147c; K149c.
- Monticello Explorer. Southeast Piazza. Provides links to images of the Southeast Piazza.
- 1. Bear, Jefferson at Monticello, 18.
- 2. Family Letters, 314. Transcription available at Founders Online.
- 3. Family Letters, 323. Transcription available at Founders Online.
- 4. Family Letters, 369. Transcription available at Founders Online.
- 5. PTJ:RS, 10:517.
- 6. Cornelia Jefferson Randolph, Drawing N-563, "Monticello. Two sketches of plan showing location of furnishings and works of art," post July 4, 1826, The Thomas Jefferson Papers, Special Collections, University of Virginia Library.
- 7. Nicholas Philip Trist Papers, Special Collections, University of North Carolina Library.
- 8. Special Collections, University of Virginia Library. Transcription available online at Jefferson Quotes and Family Letters.