George Carr (1800-1886) was born in Albemarle County, Virginia, November 16, 1800, three months before Thomas Jefferson was elected President of the United States. He was one of ten children of Micajah Carr (1752-1812) and Elizabeth Wood. His father, who once owned "Colle" and was thus a neighbor of Jefferson, served in the Revolution during Jefferson's County Lieutenancy, and by 1794, held the rank of Lieutenant in the Virginia Militia.
George Carr's grandfather, Gideon Carr (1712-1794), a native of New Kent County, was the first settler on the north side of the Southwest Mountains. It was here that he raised a family of nine children. George Carr was educated in the local schools. At age eighteen he was teaching a twelve year old grandson of Jefferson. At nineteen, when the Charlottesville Academy opened under Jefferson's patronage, he was both a student and an assistant instructor. The following year (1820) the Academy closed and George Carr opened his own grammar school at 611 East Main Street. He continued in educational work at least into the 1830's. For a while during the 1820's he was at Samuel Minor's school at "the Farm."
During this period he qualified himself for the bar, and on September 15, 1822, he was licensed to practice in Virginia. He qualified himself as an attorney-at-law in the local bar on October 10 of the same year. George Carr was well past middle age when he married Melinda Cahoon Carr (1827-1898). They married in February, 1855. A few years later, during the early days of the Civil War, they bought a farm five miles northwest of Charlottesville. During the Revolution Hessian prisoners had been encamped there. It was there that George and Melinda raised their eight children.
A few years before the Civil War, George Carr had been named Commissioner for the Liquidation of the Monticello estate, a legal assignment which occupied him for two decades. In the early years of the war he was Mayor of Charlottesville. George Carr died on October 1, 1886. The Reverend Edgar Woods wrote of him that at the time of his death he was the Nestor of the Albemarle County Bar.