Search the Encyclopedia
Artist/Maker: Francois-Phillippe Charpentier (1734-1817), engraver, after Jacques-Germain Soufflot (1713-1780)
Dimensions: 40 x 48.9 (15 3/4 x 19 1/4 in.)
Accession Number: 1972-74
Historical Notes: During Jefferson's stay in Paris, the skyline was dominated by the scaffolding surrounding the nearly completed dome of Soufflot's Ste. Genevieve, which was secularized after the Revolution. Arguably the most important Neoclassical building erected n France during the last half of the eighteenth century, the building is now known as the Pantheon. In 1774 Louis XV initiated the construction of a church dedicated to the patron saint of Paris whose prayers once saved the city from Attila the Hun. Soufflot began working on the project in 1755. This engraving by Charpentier was after one of the drawings in a set presented to the king for his approval. As it was built, the project varied from the preliminary design especially in the dome.
Jefferson owned at least two engravings of the church, and these were framed and glazed for display at Monticello.
- ↑ This article is based on Stein, Worlds, 180.
- ↑ Howard Rice, Thomas Jefferson's Paris (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1976), 6, 9.
- ↑ Wend von Kalnein and Michael Levey, Art and Architecture in Eighteenth Century France (Harmondsworth, England: Penguin Books, 1972), 281-283, 319-322; William Howard Adams, ed., The Eye of Jefferson (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1976), 126, 177; Alan Braham, "Drawings for Soufflot's Sainte Genvieve," Burlington Magazine 113 (October 1971): 583-592; Soufflot et son temps: 1780-1980 (Paris: Caisse Nationale des Monuments Historiques et des Sites, 1980), 109-110.
- ↑ Jefferson Memorandum to Bernard Peyton, requesting window glass for print frames, March 7, 1826, Thomas Jefferson Papers. Massachusetts Historical Society.