Customs & Courtesies
Monticello welcomes nearly half a million visitors each year. To ensure the best experience for every guest, we ask that you observe the following:
- Photography and video recording for personal use are permitted on the grounds of Monticello, but not inside the house.
- Bags smaller than 11" by 15" by 6" may be carried past the parking area. Visitors are asked to hand-carry their bags while in the house.
- Some wheelchairs may be too large for use in the house. Approved-size wheelchairs may be used in, and borrowed from, the house.
- Eating, drinking and chewing gum are prohibited in the house.
- Eating, drinking and flash photography are prohibited the Robert H. and Clarice Smith Gallery exhibitions.
- Electronic devices must be turned off inside the house.
- Small strollers are allowed in, and may be borrowed from, the house.
- As a courtesy, visitors with active or restless young children are asked to take turns touring the house.
- Pets are allowed on the grounds of Monticello, if leashed. With the exception of certified service dogs, pets are not allowed in any buildings or on the shuttle buses.
- Monticello is a smoke-free site; smoking is prohibited.
Login to post comments