Behind the Scenes Tour and Day Pass
Have you always wanted to go upstairs at Monticello? This exclusive pass takes you behind the scenes: through the first floor of Monticello; to bedrooms once occupied by members of the Jefferson family on the second floor; to the iconic Dome Room on the third floor; and to the new, interactive "Crossroads" exhibition under the house. You'll see unique interior architectural features, learn about ongoing historic restoration efforts, and gain insight into what one of Jefferson's granddaughters called "the bustle and hurry" of life at Monticello.
Included in the Behind the Scenes Day Pass:
- Multi-floor Tour of the House
- Guided Slavery at Monticello Tours (April-October and weekends in February)
- Guided Gardens and Grounds Tours (April-October)
- Summertime Archaeology Walks to Sites 6 and 8 (Monday-Friday, June 4-July 12)
State of the Art Visitor Center
- Free Parking
- 4 Exhibitions
- 15-minute film Thomas Jefferson's World
- Griffin Discovery Room
- Monticello Museum Shop
- Shopping and café
- Crossroads exhibition in lower level of the main house
- Seasonal Mountaintop Activity Center
- African American Graveyard
- 50% off regular admission to Thomas Jefferson’s retreat, Poplar Forest, near Lynchburg, VA
Scheduling a Behind the Scenes Tour
Tickets for these tours typically sell out in advance. To make your reservation online, please click on the tickets icon above.
Please plan to arrive at Monticello at least 30 minutes before the time of your reservation.
Guidelines for Behind-the-Scenes Tours
Please arrive at Monticello at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled tour time. (The time listed on your reservation and tickets is the time that you are to be at the East Walk, the area directly in front of Monticello where the house tour groups are formed.)
Accessibility and Children: Because the upper floors of Monticello can be reached only by steep, narrow stairs, this tour is not handicapped-accessible and is not recommended for individuals who may have difficulty climbing or descending as many as 75 stairs unassisted. Children must be able to climb and descend stairs unassisted by an adult. These tours are recommended for adults and children 7 and older.
Reservations and tickets are valid only on the date specified. There will be no refunds unless the tour is canceled by the Thomas Jefferson Foundation. All visitors, regardless of age, must have a ticket to take this tour.
- Bags and Backpacks. No bags or backpacks exceeding 11" by 15" by 4" are allowed beyond the Shuttle Station.
- In the House. Eating, drinking, chewing gum, and using tobacco products are prohibited in the house. Cell phones and other electronic devices must be turned off. Still photography, filming, and video recording are prohibited. Visitors are urged not to touch or lean on walls or furnishings.
- On the Grounds. The West Lawn is open to visitors. Otherwise, visitors are asked to keep to the designated paths and trails while on the grounds. Smoking is not permitted near the House or its dependencies and terraces.
- Photography. Still photography, filming, and video recording for personal use are permitted on the grounds of Monticello. No photography of any kind is allowed inside the house.
- Pets. Pets are allowed on the grounds if leashed. Pets (excluding certified service dogs) are not allowed in any buildings or on the shuttle buses. Visitors bringing pets are required to clean up after them.
- Smoking. Smoking is prohibited in all buildings, in the shuttle buses, and in the vicinity of the house. Smokers are asked to be careful with their matches, lighters, ashes, etc.