$395 for up to 5 guests of any age
Reservations are required for this tour and must be made at least 48-hours in advance. Call: 434.984.9880.
Have you always wanted to go upstairs at Monticello? This exclusive pass takes you behind the scenes: through the first floor of Monticello and up the narrow staircase to explore the private quarters on the second and third floors, including the iconic Dome Room. Along the way, you will see unique architectural features and visit newly restored spaces that reveal the complexities of family life at Monticello. Learn about the Jefferson, Hemings, and Randolph family, as well as other free and enslaved people who lived and labored in the house. The Behind-the-Scenes tour provides a fuller picture of life at Monticello, and a better understanding of the complex world surrounding the man who authored the Declaration of Independence.
Beginning May 28, fully vaccinated guests are no longer required to wear facial coverings when outdoors at Monticello. All guests age 5 and up must continue to wear a face covering when indoors, and when on shuttle buses. Please check back for updates, and check out our Visiting FAQs to learn more about our efforts to make your visit safe and enjoyable.
Please note: This tour is not handicap-accessible and involves climbing steep stairs. Children must be able to climb and descend stairs unassisted by an adult. These tours are recommended for adults and children 7 and older.
Late Arrivals: As these tours begin and/or end outside of our normal hours of operation, guests arriving late may receive an abbreviated tour.
What's included in the Private Behind-the-Scenes Tour:
Programs and Exhibitions
- Self-guided, walk-through tours of first floor of Thomas Jefferson’s home.
- Meet Thomas Jefferson (most Tuesdays-Saturdays)
- Guided Gardens & Grounds Tour
- Guided Slavery at Monticello Tour
- Mobile Scavenger Hunt for Families
- Exhibits at the Visitor Center
- Thomas Jefferson’s World Introductory Film
- Free Parking
- The Shops at Monticello and Monticello Farm Table
- Free Wifi at the Visitor Center and around the mountaintop
- Burial Ground for Enslaved People at Monticello
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Visit
- Bring a well-charged smart phone with QR Code Reader to access additional content and activities as you explore the house and grounds.
- Consider purchasing Monticello’s Official Guidebook online or at the shop to serve as your companion during your visit.
- Check out our Visiting FAQs to learn more about efforts to make your visit safe a