"It is for the happiness of those united in society to harmonize as much as possible
in matters which they must of necessity transact together."
--Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia
The guiding principle of this site is Jeffersonian at its core: we would like it be a place of civil and useful conversation among respectful persons of many perspectives. Accordingly, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation invites you to interact with its site and other members of the online community, subject to the following conditions:
- You affirm that you are over 13 years old.
- You agree to provide and maintain accurate, current and complete information on your account. You won't open more than one account, and you'll keep your password secure and act responsibly.
- You will only post content that is yours or for which you have received permission from the person or entity that owns the content and the related intellectual property rights.
- You promise to interact politely with others, respecting other members of the Community (interaction with whom is your sole responsibility), and that you won't submit, upload, link to or post anything that:
- libels, defames, invades privacy, or is abusive, profane, or threatening
- infringes on any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity
- falsifies or deletes author attributions, legal notices, or other proprietary designations
- violates any law
- advocates illegal activity
- contains viruses, corrupted files or other materials that may cause damage to any computer system
- advertises or otherwise solicits funds or sales of goods or services
- contains lewd material or content inappropriate for viewing by children
- You understand that the Foundation assumes no responsibility or liability arising from the posting of your content or for any error, defamation, libel, omission, obscenity, danger or inaccuracy contained in any posted information or from any failure or delay in removing such content.
- You understand that participation on the Monticello website is a privilege, not a right.
- The Thomas Jefferson Foundation can have and keep a free license to display and archive any submissions you contribute to the website, which includes comments and tags, and the Foundation may use them in promotional and educational materials or for other standard museum uses.
The Thomas Jefferson Foundation gladly welcomes all to this community who are willing to post within these rules. The site administrators reserve the authority to guide discussion and debate in the best interests of the community, to include the modification or deletions of posts and/or the banning of posters judged to be disruptive, though they hope that such modification and deletion will prove unnecessary.
By registering for an account on the Monticello website, I agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
« Back to Create New Account.