You are here

Blog Posts by Fraser D. Neiman

Read what Monticello staff members and guest authors have to say about Jefferson, Monticello, and how they experience Jefferson's experiment every day.


Since November, Monticello’s archaeology team has been battling record cold and snow. We have excavated a 140-foot long trench running from the smokehouse in the South Dependency, across the Kitchen Yard and down to the vegetable garden terrace (Figure 1). The trench will contain pipes serving the...More >>
Monticello archaeologists are excavating 5-foot quadrats in the area marked
On Monday September 17, the archaeology department began the final phase of excavation required to support the Foundation’s exciting plans to restore Jefferson’s Kitchen Road. In the first decades of the nineteenth century the Kitchen Road linked Monticello’s kitchen, at the south end of the...More >>
Click for a larger version.
Earlier this year, Monticello's archaeology team located the remains of a previously undocumented building on Mulberry Row. The new find consists of a brick paving that served as the floor of a log structure whose walls have left no visible trace. Only the northern edge of the paving has been...More >>
A Padlock, matching one found on Mulberry Row
Over the past two months, Monticello’s archaeologists have discovered two previously unknown archaeological sites that were once the homes of slaves who lived at Tufton, about a mile and a quarter east of Jefferson’s mountaintop mansion. Our preliminary assessment of the artifacts indicates that...More >>
Posted in: 
Archaeology
In the third and final posting this series, we’ll briefly consider how the intellectual legacies of the New Archaeology affect current archaeological practice and our approach to the reanalysis of Pi-Sunyer ( part 1 ) and Kelso’s ( part 2 ) finds on Mulberry Row. Today, 30 years after Kelso’s work...More >>
As we saw last time , Oriel Pi-Sunyer conducted the first serious archaeogical fieldwork on Mulberry Row in 1957. He relied on an excavation method called cross trenching, whose main goal was finding and exposing masonry foundations. Over 20 years later, William Kelso brought a different set of...More >>
Everyone knows that archaeologists dig. But it is less widely appreciated that just how they dig and what they find varies with the kinds of questions they ask and the assumptions they make. Two excavation campaigns were conducted on Mulberry Row -- the first in 1957 and the second in the early...More >>
Visitors view the Betty Hemings Site.
First Archaeology Workshop Tours Monticello Mountain Monticello’s archaeologists hosted the first in a series of four Archaeology Workshops on Saturday, April 23. Visitors joined archaeology staff members for a 2.5-mile walk across the southern slopes of Monticello Mountain. The group visited...More >>
Posted in: 
Archaeology

Participate

Login or register to participate in our online community.