This stone building (now attached to modern additions) was built in the 1770s to house the white workmen Jefferson hired to lay the brick and make the woodworkof the main house. After an interim period of occupation by slave house servants, a new set of joiners and masons took up residence here in the 1790s while Monticello was remodeled and enlarged.
Known as the "Weaver's Cottage" in family tradition, this building may have been the site of Monticello textile manufacture at 1815. A dozen slave women and younger girls worked at Hargreaves spinning jennies (with up to fourty-eight spindles each), looms with fly shuttles, and a carding machine. They made cloth for the slave laborers from wool and hemp produced on the plantation and cotton bought by the bale.