The Forest was the plantation of John Wayles, father of Thomas Jefferson's wife, Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson. It was the site of Jefferson's marriage to Martha on January 1, 1772. The Forest was located in Charles City County, Virginia just off of State Route 5. After Wayles' death, his daughter Elizabeth Wayles Eppes and her husband, Francis Eppes, lived on the property until they moved to Eppington. The land is privately owned and the house no longer exists. There is now a historical marker commemorating the scene of Jefferson's wedding on Route 5.