Workshop for tinsmithing and nail-making, and living quarters for enslaved workers ca. 1790–ca. 1830
Animated 3D model showing what the Storehouse for Iron, which also served as a tinsmith shop and a nailery, may have looked like based on physical evidence and historical examples. 3D model by RenderSphere, LLC.
Built around 1793, this 16 x 10.5-foot log structure was primarily “used as a storehouse for nailrod & other iron.” For a brief period in the 1790s, it was the site of a tinsmithing operation containing an anvil and forge. Isaac Granger Jefferson, trained by a Philadelphia tinsmith, recalled that he “carried on the tin business two years” before it failed. Archaeological evidence suggests that this structure also functioned as a small-scale nail-making operation and as living quarters for enslaved workers after the War of 1812.