John Taggart was a Philadelphia merchant. Thomas Jefferson began purchasing paint supplies from Taggart in 1805. Their correspondence focused on orders that included varnish, linseed oil, whiting, and paint in various colors.
In 1812, on behalf of his son, John Taggart requested a recommendation from Jefferson to the Secretary of the Navy. Several letters on the subject were exchanged. The matter was left hanging, however, as Jefferson had decided to avoid entanglements of this nature, and the Secretary of the Navy had changed since he was in office. Jefferson's failure to help Taggart in this matter may have soured their relationship, or perhaps Jefferson simply no longer needed paint supplies. In any case, letters between Taggart and Jefferson ceased after June 1813.
In October 1790, a note in the Maryland Journal and Baltimore Advertiser stated that a John Taggart of Philadelphia married a Miss Polly Williamson of Baltimore County. Whether or not this is the same John Taggart is not known.
931 Thomas Jefferson Parkway
Charlottesville, VA 22902