You are here
Field Jefferson ( 16 March 1702 - 10 February 1765) was Thomas Jefferson's uncle, the older brother of his father, Peter Jefferson.1 He was the third child of Thomas Jefferson (1677-1731) and Mary Field (1679-1715). His first wife is believed to have been named Mary Frances Robertson (1706-1750) and they had nine children:2
- Thomas Jefferson (1733-1783)
- Peterfield Jefferson (1735-1794)
- Elizabeth Jefferson (1736-?)
- Frances Jefferson (1738-1766)
- George Jefferson (1739-1780)
- Mary Jefferson (1740-?)
- Judith Jefferson (1741-?)
- John Robertson Jefferson (1742-1809)
- Phoebe Jefferson (1743-1830) m. Alexander Clark3
Field Jefferson married a second time in 1753, to Mary Allen "of Albemarle County." No children were born to Field and his second wife.4
- 1. Birth and death dates for Field are from a Jefferson family Bible originally belonging to Field's father, Thomas Jefferson (1677-1731) and published in Genealogies of Virginia Families from Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1981), 2:450-455.
- 2. Information on Field Jefferson's children from a genealogical chart provided to us by a descendant. The information is believed to be accurate but we have not independently confirmed it unless otherwise noted.
- 3. See Elizabeth Shown Mills, "A Husband for Phoebe Jefferson," Virginia Genealogist 29 (1985): 83-104. View PDF.
- 4. See Landon C. Bell, "Field Jefferson's Second Wife," Tyler's Quarterly 13 (1931): 15-23.