Jefferson labeled this building as "n. a wash house 16 ½ f. square of wood, the chimney also of wood, the floor of earth" in the 1796 Mutual Assurance Plat.

Built around 1790, this structure served as the laundry for Jefferson’s household. Ursula Granger, an enslaved “pastry cook and washer-woman,” likely performed the laundry duties in this building. By 1809, the wash house moved to the newly completed service spaces in the South Wing.