The structure has been in almost continuous use since its construction in 1809. The two stone buildings, originally part of a larger structure, were likely used to store feed and tack during Jefferson’s lifetime. Enslaved grooms and hostlers like Jupiter Evans and Wormley Hughes cared for Jefferson’s prized carriage and riding horses.
Enslaved master carpenter John Hemmings and his wife, Priscilla, likely lived in a cabin like this reconstruction. Priscilla Hemmings cared for the Jefferson-Randolph children as enslaved nursemaid. This reconstruction represents one of three houses built circa 1793 on Mulberry Row for individual families. It is furnished based on historical records and a rare first-person account.
A restored ca. 1778 structure featuring an exhibit about Mulberry Row and a room depicting the factory where enslaved women and children turned cotton, hemp, and wool into cloth for enslaved people and enterprise.
The Storehouse for Iron was a workshop for tinsmithing and nail-making, and living quarters for enslaved workers. It was recently recreated using archaeological and historical evidence.
Stonehouse, Dairly/Smokehouse, Nailery/Blacksmith Shop, Joiner's Shop, Coal Shed's