A small wood dwelling for enslaved people was built on the eastern part of the site of the smokehouse/dairy after these functions moved to the newly completed South Terrace wing in 1809. Unnamed by Jefferson, archaeologists call it Mulberry Row Structure 4 (MRS-4).
Digital Archaeological Archive of Comparative Slavery
Learn more about archaeological research at Monticello and the latest findings at site from the Chesapeake to the Carribean.
TAKE A TOUR
Learn about the enslaved people who lived and worked on Mulberry Row, the dynamic industrial hub of the Monticello plantation.