CELEBRATE JEFFERSON'S BIRTHDAY AT MONTICELLO
Enjoy patriotic music and experience the thrill of Founder's Day and Jefferson's Birthday Celebration.
Policies and Guidelines for Visiting Monticello on Founder's Day.
Thank you for planning to spend part of your day with us at Monticello. Your safety is our top priority.
All personal belongings are subject to security inspection before boarding Monticello shuttle buses. Monticello appreciates your patience and understanding of these procedures and the additional time that may be required.
Monticello will not allow visitors to bring bags to the property on Founder's Day including: backpacks of any size, shopping bags or duffel bags of any kind. Monticello reserves the right to refuse other items and is not responsible for items left in vehicles.
It is recommended that you allow ample time for security screening, boarding the shuttle bus, travel to the mountaintop, and to find seating. Entertainment and free beverages will be provided on the West Lawn.
- All weapons, including firearms, knives or sharp objects are strictly prohibited. A security officer will assist you in securing these items if you are observed with them anywhere on the property.
- Monticello will not allow visitors to bring in bags, including backpacks of any size, shopping bags or duffel bags of any kind.
- Do not carry any of these types of items into the security screening area. If you are unsure about an item, please do not bring it.
- LARGE packages, suitcases, carry-on luggage and other large parcels will not be permitted.
- Coolers, lawn furniture, animals, fireworks or firecrackers, tobacco products are prohibited.
- Monticello and all of its grounds are a non-smoking facility. This includes electronic smoking products.
- Eating, drinking and chewing gum are prohibited in the House.
- Eating, drinking and flash photography are prohibited in the Robert H. and Clarice Smith Gallery exhibitions.
- Photography or videography for non-personal use is prohibited without advance arrangement. For more information please see our Filming and Photography Guidelines.
- Guests may not display or carry placards, signs, or banners, including flags on poles that cannot be stowed in a small bag. Clothing that contains offensive or abusive language or symbols is not permitted.
- Guests may not engage in disorderly conduct or participate in unauthorized assemblies. Solicitation or advertising is not permitted.
- See more of our Dos and Don'ts.
- Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes in advance of your shuttle boarding time to allow time for parking and security screening.
- Flash photography and video cameras are allowed outside of Monticello for personal use only.
- Small strollers are allowed in, and may be borrowed for use while in, the House.
- Some wheelchairs may be too large for use in the House. Approved-size wheelchairs are available from staff for use in the House.
- Guests may be subject to other screening or security measures, including metal detection.
- We use a variety of methods in keeping Monticello safe including uniformed security officers and various forms of video surveillance monitoring throughout our property.
- Electronic devices must be turned off during tours of the House and silenced during the ceremony.
- As a courtesy, guests with active or restless young children are asked to take turns touring the House.
- Pets are allowed on the grounds of Monticello, if leashed. With the exception of certified service dogs, pets are not allowed in any buildings, including the House, or on the shuttle buses.
Filming and Photography Notice:
The Founder's Day and Jefferson's Birthday Celebration at Monticello is a very special occasion, and we want to share it with the world! The ceremony is covered by local and national media, and may also be recorded in video and still form for educational and promotional use by the Thomas Jefferson Foundation. Members of the audience may be included in some of the footage. By attending this event, you are consenting to allow your likeness to be used for the above purposes. If you do not wish to be part of the filming, please see a staff person and you will be directed to a part of the grounds that will not be included in the footage.
Thank you for your cooperation - safety is everyone's responsibility. If you SEE something—SAY something to a Monticello employee.