1784 October 17-1785 October 17: On October 17, 1784, Jefferson moved to an unfurnished three-story house, the H√¥tel Landron, in the Cul-de-sac Taitbout (present-day Rue du Helder, Ninth Arrondissement). Jefferson referred to it as the “H√¥tel Tetebout.”3 It was located on the Right Bank and was owned by M. Guireaud de Talairac. The annual rent was 4,000 livres, to be paid in quarterly installments. The house, according to the lease, had “three main parts …, a courtyard, and two gardens.”4 The cost to equip the house with furniture, carpets, linens, blankets, clocks, silver, and works of art purchased at auction exceeded Jefferson's salary for the year.5 He had bookshelves built, rented a pianoforte, and bought music and a music stand.6 Before long Jefferson decided the house was inconvenient and wasn’t worthy of the U.S. legation. In October 1785, he moved to the H√¥tel de Langeac.
Jefferson was host to many well-known visitors at the H√¥tel de Langeac. John Trumbull, the American painter of historical scenes, lived with Jefferson during his time in Paris. He sketched portraits of French officers for his painting, The Surrender of Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown, and worked on his masterpiece, The Declaration of Independence, while living there. The architect Charles Bulfinch of Boston was also a guest. The H√¥tel de Langeac was the setting for official as well as private life. “One evening in August 1789, the hospitable American Minister found himself the unexpected host to an informal gathering of members of the National Assembly’s Committee on the new Constitution. The question of the veto power of the King had produced a deadlock in the Assembly. In search of a quiet retreat where the difficulties could be ironed out, Lafayette invited himself and seven of his friends to dinner at the H√¥tel de Langeac.”12
The H√¥tel de Langeac was demolished in 1842. There is a memorial plaque, placed there in 1919 by the alumni of the University of Virginia, marking the place where the house stood.