Due to icy conditions, the upper portion of the trail from the boardwalks to the visitor center are closed this morning, January 15, 2024. The lower portion of the trail, from the Route 53 and Route 20 parking lots to the boardwalk, remains open. Check back for updates.
Please note: Icy conditions may exist on trails during winter months. Please use caution and pay attention to advisory signage on the Saunders-Monticello Trail.
Access to the Monticello visitor center campus requires passing through a security screening checkpoint. This includes access to the restrooms, café, shop, and all locations on the visitor center campus. No weapons, including firearms, knives, or sharp objects, are permitted beyond the checkpoint.
Regular Trail Hours: Sunrise to Sunset
Closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and for inclement weather. In the winter, morning icy conditions may also lead to delayed openings.
Gates open just before sunrise and close within 30 minutes of sunset to allow adequate time for cleaning and trail maintenance. Please allow time to return to your vehicle before closing. Anyone on the trail after closing will need to contact Monticello Security at 434-984-9885 to unlock the gates.
- To review local daily sunrise and sunset times, CLICK HERE »
Please observe all signage at the park and be aware that a number of changes and additional safety measures will be in place.
Please note that the Trail parking lot hours differ from those of the lot at Monticello. See Monticello's Hours of Operation for more information.
The Saunders-Monticello Trail and Kemper Park are open all year, except Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas or for severe inclement weather.
Trail and park users are asked to respect the following rules:
- To reduce employees’ contact with waste, guests are asked to carry out trash and properly dispose of waste outside of the park.
- Please stay to the right on trails.
- Bicycles must observe a 10 mph speed limit and yield to pedestrians at all times. Cyclists should pass pedestrians on the left and proceed with caution.
- Boardwalk sections of trail will be closed to bicycles in wet conditions.
- Leashed dogs are welcome on all trails—except on boardwalk portions of the Saunders-Monticello Trail.
- Please heed the no parking signs along Rt. 53.
Please enjoy and respect the trail and park.
NOTE: Trail users are responsible for monitoring weather conditions and should leave the Parkway as quickly as possible in case of storms. In severe weather, there is a risk of lightning strikes and of falling branches and trees.