The trail's regular hours are as follows:
October 16–March 13: 7a.m. – 5 p.m.
March 14–April 30: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
May 1–August 15: 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
August 16–October 15 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Please observe all signage at the park and be aware that a number of changes and additional safety measures will be in place.
Gates will close promptly at the times posted above to allow adequate time for cleaning and trail maintenance. Please allow time to return to your vehicle before closing. Anyone on the trail after closing will need to contact Monticello Security at 434-984-9885 to unlock the gates.
Please note that the Trail parking lot hours differ from those of the lot at Monticello. See Monticello's Hours of Operation for more information.
The Saunders-Monticello Trail and Kemper Park are open all year, except Christmas.
Trail and park users are asked to respect the following rules:
- Face coverings are strongly recommended, especially on the boardwalks and other areas where social distancing is difficult.
- To reduce employees’ contact with waste, guests are asked to carry out trash and properly dispose of waste outside of the park.
- Please stay to the right on trails.
- Bicycles must observe a 10 mph speed limit and yield to pedestrians at all times. Cyclists should pass pedestrians on the left and proceed with caution.
- Boardwalk sections of trail will be closed to bicycles in wet conditions.
- Leashed dogs are welcome on all trails—except on boardwalk portions of the Saunders-Monticello Trail.
- Please heed the no parking signs along Rt. 53.
Please enjoy and respect the trail and park.
NOTE: Trail users are responsible for monitoring weather conditions and should leave the Parkway as quickly as possible in case of storms. In severe weather, there is a risk of lightning strikes and of falling branches and trees.