Beginning Tuesday, June 9, the Saunders-Monticello Trail and park system will be open to the public daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Please observe all signage at the park and be aware that a number of changes and additional safety measures will be in place.
Gates will close promptly at 7 p.m. to allow adequate time for additional cleaning and trail maintenance. Please allow time to return to your vehicle before closing. Anyone on the trail after 7 p.m. will need to contact Monticello Security at 434-984-9885 to unlock the gates.
The trail hours are as follows:
- Summer: May 1 – Sept 15 – 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Fall: Sept 16-Dec 20 – 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Winter: Dec 21-Mar 10 – 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Spring: March 11-April 31 – 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
The Saunders-Monticello Trail and Kemper Park are open all year, except Christmas.
Trail and park users are asked to respect the following rules:
- Face coverings are strongly recommended, especially on the boardwalks and other areas where social distancing is difficult.
- To reduce employees’ contact with waste, guests are asked to carry out trash and properly dispose of waste outside of the park.
- Please stay to the right on trails.
- Bicycles must observe a 10 mph speed limit and yield to pedestrians at all times. Cyclists should pass pedestrians on the left and proceed with caution.
- Boardwalk sections of trail will be closed to bicycles in wet conditions.
- Leashed dogs are welcome on all trails—except on boardwalk portions of the Saunders-Monticello Trail.
- Please heed the no parking signs along Rt. 53.
Please enjoy and respect the trail and park.
NOTE: Trail users are responsible for monitoring weather conditions and should leave the Parkway as quickly as possible in case of storms. In severe weather, there is a risk of lightning strikes and of falling branches and trees.