The following is a basic chronology of the Thomas Jefferson Foundation, beginning with its incorporation in 1923.
Slavery at Jefferson’s Monticello: Paradox of Liberty exhibition, co-curated by Monticello and the new National Museum of African American History and Culture, opens at the Smithsonian to nearly a million visitors
Monticello tours Paradox of Liberty exhibition in Atlanta, St. Louis and Philadelphia
President Barack Obama and President of France François Hollande visit
The Mountaintop Project progresses with the first re-creation of a Jefferson-era building on Mulberry Row. The first room to be refurnished on the second floor is opened
Phase I of The Mountaintop Project is completed. For the first time in TJF’s history, Monticello’s second and third floors are restored and furnished. Mulberry Row interpretation expands with the completion of the Kitchen Road project and the re-creation of the Hemings Cabin and the Storehouse for Iron
Launch of the Slavery at Monticello: Life and Work on Mulberry Row app.
Monticello receives a second $10 million gift from David M. Rubenstein. The Monticello Visitor Center is named in honor of David M. Rubenstein.
Monticello is invited to anchor the 50th anniversary of the National Endowment for the Humanities with a public summit co-hosted with UVA on the legacies of freedom and slavery, Memory Mourning, and Mobilization. David M. Rubenstein loans his copy of the 13th Amendment.
The restoration of the North Wing, including the Farm Shop, restrooms, and interpretive carriage bays is completed.
The executive offices are relocated to the Grigg building.
Improvements to infrastructure, including fire protection and water and sewer systems, are completed.
Phase II of the Mountaintop Project is complete, opening nearly 30 new spaces and doubling the interpretive areas for visitors, including the Stone Stable, the Textile Workshop, Jefferson’s Private Suite, the terraces and railings, the South Pavilion, the North and South Wings, and featuring exhibits on Getting Word and The Life of Sally Hemings
Monticello sends a refitted Paradox of Liberty exhibition on a second national tour to Dallas, Detroit and Richmond
Bill Barker, first-person Jefferson interpreter, joins the Monticello staff.
The Farm Table Café opens at the David M. Rubenstein Visitor Center with a menu sourced from produce grown in the Vegetable Garden and at Tufton farm.
Under the threat of Covid-19 Monticello closes to the public for three months.
Live Virtual Tours and digital content (podcasts, livestreams, blog posts, social media) initiatives created to engage Monticello’s community virtually.
Monticello receives a $2.8M Payroll Protection Program loan to retain staff and wins grants for Covid-19 relief from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH Cares, $210,000), the Reynolds Foundation ($25,000), and the Fidelity Foundation ($250,000).
Observing Covid-19 safety protocols, Monticello re-opens to the public in June with self-guided house tours.
Guided Highlights and Behind the Scenes Tours offered following relaxation of Covid-19 restrictions
- Text for years 1923-1998 from Rebecca L. Bowman, "A Chronology," in Celebrating Seventy-Five Years of Preservation and Education: The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, Inc., 1923-1998 (Charlottesville, Va.: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, 1998), 20-25. Additions by Anna Berkes, June 14-15, 2011.
931 Thomas Jefferson Parkway
Charlottesville, VA 22902