Home Educators' Day is an annual event that welcomes the homeschool community and offers special activities. Tickets are coming soon!
- Take a self-guided tour of the first floor of Monticello, Jefferson’s architectural masterpiece. Use your smart phone to access a mobile tour in the house, or purchase a guidebook in advance
- Meet Thomas Jefferson, and hear powerful stories about his life and legacies
- Watch costumed interpreters demonstrate activities such as historic basket making, open-fire cooking, and African American stories and songs
- Connect with Monticello’s archaeologists, and participate in learning stations about Slavery at Monticello and Monticello’s gardens
- Enhance your visit with our mobile scavenger hunt using your smart phone. Snap photos, test your knowledge, and share your thoughts to complete the challenges
- Explore Monticello’s flower and vegetable gardens. Walk along Mulberry Row, visit recreated buildings, and learn the unforgettable stories of the enslaved people who lived and worked at Monticello
- Stretch your legs and enjoy Monticello’s natural environment on miles of outdoor trails
- Explore the David M. Rubenstein Visitor Center, including the film Thomas Jefferson’s World and innovative exhibitions on architecture, the Monticello plantation and the creation of the United States.
Light meals and refreshments are available for purchase at the Monticello Farm Table café. And The Shop at Monticello provides shopping opportunities for books and other learning materials related to the exploration of the worlds of Thomas Jefferson.
Want to know more about how we're working to make your visit safe and enjoyable? Read our Reopening FAQs »
To ensure the safety of our staff and guests during the pandemic, we have made significant alterations to our operations. To help you plan for your visit, we wish to highlight some of our increased safety measures.
- Please arrive at the Visitor Center no earlier than 15 minutes before your ticket time. Capacity at Monticello is limited so we can keep people safe by encouraging smaller crowds. Arriving close to your ticket time helps to make sure you and your family are safe.
- Face coverings are mandatory. All guests, except those under the age of 10 and those with medical exemptions, are required to wear a face covering when indoors or when outdoors near other people.
- Clear plastic bags only: All bags must be clear plastic and may not exceed 12" x 6" x 12". Exceptions to this policy will be made for all medically necessary items after proper inspection.
- Please respect our physical distancing guidelines. Staff will manage capacities at indoor locations and at our outdoor learning stations to allow for adequate physical distancing.
- Food & Drink:Lunches and snacks are available for purchase on site and can be enjoyed at outdoor tables outside our Monticello Farm Table café. Due to safety measures taken during the pandemic, our picnic area is closed.
Please direct any questions about the day's content or activities to email@example.com.