Enjoy Monticello’s Gardens and Grounds at your own pace. Guests can tour the mountaintop and take advantage of the outdoor stations, the newly restored South Wing, Mulberry Row, the Vegetable and Flower Gardens, tour the All-Weather Passage, and get a picture of the iconic west view.
*While this pass provides access to the All-Weather Passage and Main House Cellars, it does not provide admittance to the first, second, or third floor of Thomas Jefferson’s home.
|Children 12 - 18||
Free (ticket required)
Guide to Your Visit
Update on May 14, 2021. For the time being, we are continuing our policies regarding Covid-19 mitigation, including requiring face coverings for all staff and guests age 5 and up indoors, and in crowded locations outdoors. Please check back for updates, and check out our Reopening FAQs to learn more about our efforts to make your visit safe and enjoyable.
Guests touring the house will be greeted outside by a guide who will introduce them to Monticello. They will then proceed inside for a self-guided tour of the house using a guidebook (available for purchase at The Shop at Monticello) or smartphone. Upon exiting the house, a guide will be available for further questions.
What's included in the Gardens and Grounds Pass:
Programs and Exhibitions
- Meet Thomas Jefferson (most Tuesdays-Saturdays)
- Outdoor Offerings
- Mobile Scavenger Hunt for Families
- Exhibits at the Visitor Center
- Thomas Jefferson’s World Introductory Film
- Free Parking
- The Shops at Monticello and Monticello Farm Table
- Free Wifi at the Visitor Center and around the mountaintop
- Burial Ground for Enslaved People at Monticello
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Visit
- Bring a well-charged smart phone with QR Code Reader to access additional content and activities as you explore the house grounds.
- Consider purchasing Monticello’s Official Guidebook online or at the shop to serve as your companion during your visit.
- Check out our Reopening FAQs to learn more about efforts to make your visit safe and enjoyable.
- Only clear, plastic bags (12”x6”x12”) are allowed for carrying personal items.