You are here
Have you always wanted to go upstairs at Monticello? This exclusive pass takes you behind the scenes: through the first floor of Monticello and up the narrow staircase to explore the private quarters on the second and third floors, including the iconic Dome Room. Along the way, you will see unique architectural features and visit newly restored spaces that reveal the complexities of family life at Monticello. Learn about the Jefferson, Hemings, and Randolph family, as well as other free and enslaved people who lived and labored in the house. The Behind-the-Scenes tour provides a fuller picture of life at Monticello, and a better understanding of the complex world surrounding the man who authored the Declaration of Independence. Please note: This tour is not handicap-accessible and involves climbing steep stairs.
Because of high demand during our peak visit seasons, we recommend making your reservation online.
Included in the Behind the Scenes Day Pass:
- Multi-floor Tour of the House
- Guided Slavery at Monticello Tours (Offered Daily)
- Guided Gardens and Grounds Tours (mid-March—October)
State of the Art Visitor Center
- Free Parking
- 4 Exhibitions
- 15-minute film Thomas Jefferson's World
- Griffin Discovery Room
- Monticello Museum Shop
- Free Wifi at the visitor center and around the mountaintop
- Shopping and café
- Crossroads exhibition in lower level of the main house
- Seasonal Mountaintop Activity Center
- African American Graveyard
Scheduling a Behind the Scenes Tour
Tickets for these tours typically sell out in advance. To make your reservation online, please click on the tickets icon above.
Please plan to arrive at Monticello at least 30 minutes before the time of your reservation.