Clock weights that go into the floor, Mastodon bones, double-acting doors...there are lots of things at Monticello that kids find fascinating. These special guided 45-minute tours are uniquely designed for families with children ages 5 to 11.
Featuring hands-on learning, these tours highlight Jefferson’s ideas and accomplishments and share stories of the people, both free and enslaved, who lived on this working plantation. This popular pass includes access to our gardens, grounds, walking tours, family-friendly activities, and exhibits.
Schedule for 2023
Jun 10 - Sept 4
Oct 1, 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 21, 22
Dec 26 - 30
Guests should plan to arrive at the visitor center 30 minutes prior to their tour start time to allow time to pass through a security screening and travel from the visitor center to the mountaintop.
Programs and Exhibitions
- Guided tour of first floor spaces of Thomas Jefferson’s home and areas on the West Lawn.
- Meet Thomas Jefferson (most Tuesdays-Saturdays)
- Guided Gardens & Grounds Tour
- Guided Slavery at Monticello Tour
- Mountaintop Activity Center
- Mobile Scavenger Hunt for Families
- Exhibits at the Visitor Center
- Thomas Jefferson’s World Introductory Film
- Free Parking
- The Shops at Monticello and Monticello Farm Table
- Free Wifi at the Visitor Center and around the mountaintop
- Burial Ground for Enslaved People at Monticello
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Visit
- Bring a well-charged smart phone with QR Code Reader to access additional content and activities as you explore the house and grounds.