Clock weights that go into the floor, Mastodon bones, double-acting doors...there are lots of things at Monticello that kids find fascinating. These special guided 45-minute tours are uniquely designed for families with children ages 5 to 11.
Featuring hands-on learning, these tours highlight Jefferson’s ideas and accomplishments and share stories of the people, both free and enslaved, who lived on this working plantation. This popular pass includes access to our gardens, grounds, walking tours, family-friendly activities, and exhibits.
Schedule for 2023
Jan 12 - Jan 16
Feb 18 - Feb 19
Apr 1 - Apr 15
Jun 10 - Sept 4
Oct 1, 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 21, 22
Dec 26 - 30
Programs and Exhibitions
- Guided tour of first floor spaces of Thomas Jefferson’s home and areas on the West Lawn.
- Meet Thomas Jefferson (most Tuesdays-Saturdays)
- Guided Gardens & Grounds Tour
- Guided Slavery at Monticello Tour
- Mountaintop Activity Center
- Mobile Scavenger Hunt for Families
- Exhibits at the Visitor Center
- Thomas Jefferson’s World Introductory Film
- Free Parking
- The Shops at Monticello and Monticello Farm Table
- Free Wifi at the Visitor Center and around the mountaintop
- Burial Ground for Enslaved People at Monticello
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Visit
- Bring a well-charged smart phone with QR Code Reader to access additional content and activities as you explore the house and grounds.
- Check out our Visiting FAQs to learn more about efforts to make your visit safe and enjoyable.