Learn about Thomas Jefferson, the ideas of freedom, and the realities of slavery that made the United States. This popular pass includes a self-guided House tour and access to our gardens, grounds, outdoor stations, and exhibits. Due to capacity limitations, this tour is frequently selling out. A Gardens and Grounds Pass is available on busier days.
|Children 12 - 18||
Free (ticket required)
Guide to Your Visit
To ensure the safety of our staff and guests, we have made significant alterations to our operations in keeping with Phase 2 of the Forward Virginia Plan, including smaller numbers of guests on site and in the main house, enhanced prevention measures, and expanded outdoor activities to provide a safe experience for guests.
Guests touring the house will be greeted outside by a guide who will introduce them to Monticello. They will then proceed inside for a self-guided tour of the house using a guidebook (available for purchase at The Shop at Monticello) or smartphone. Upon exiting the house, a guide will be available for further questions.
What's included in the Monticello Self-Guided Pass:
Programs and Exhibitions
- Self-guided, walk-through tours of first floor of Thomas Jefferson’s home.
- Meet Thomas Jefferson (most Tuesdays-Saturdays)
- Outdoor Offerings
- Mobile Scavenger Hunt for Families
- Exhibits at the Visitor Center
- Thomas Jefferson’s World Introductory Film
- Free Parking
- The Shops at Monticello and Monticello Farm Table
- Free Wifi at the Visitor Center and around the mountaintop
- Burial Ground for Enslaved People at Monticello
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Visit
- Bring a well-charged smart phone with QR Code Reader to access additional content and activities as you explore the house and grounds.
- Consider purchasing Monticello’s Official Guidebook online or at the shop to serve as your companion during your visit.
- Check out our Reopening FAQs to learn more about efforts to make your visit safe and enjoyable.
- Only clear, plastic bags (12”x6”x12”) are allowed for carrying personal items.