FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Media Contact: Amy Atticks, 434-984-7529
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA (Monticello) – Enjoy the merriment of the holidays Jefferson-style at Monticello!
- Be the first to see Monticello decorated for the season on December 1, when Thomas Jefferson will host a Holiday Open House.
- Decorate your own home during our classic Wreath Workshops! Learn how to create an all-natural wreath with materials handpicked from the grounds at Monticello. Workshops feature tastings from the Shop at Monticello and a contest.
- Embrace your inner architect during My Monticello Gingerbread House Family Workshop.
- Watch artisans create specialty crafts, sample heritage chocolate, and find local gifts for family and friends during our second Handmade for the Holidays at the Shop at Monticello.
- Experience Monticello at night during our intimate Holiday Evening Tours. Explore the house in a small group while learning about holiday traditions in Jefferson’s time.
- Grab your sneakers and join us for the 4th Annual Monticello Holiday Classic 5K and Deck the Halls Kids Dash!
More details on Monticello holiday events below, we hope to see you this season! Please buy tickets online or call 434-984-9880.
November 29, 30
December 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Holiday Wreath Workshops
These ever-popular workshops, in their 27th year, produce a gratifying and tangible end product: a beautiful holiday wreath. Janet Miller, Lou Hatch, and Maggie Stemann Thompson will lead participants through the process in these three-hour sessions. All materials (straw wreath forms, pins, wire, etc.) will be provided, including a cornucopia of natural materials. Bring hand pruners. Jordan Classroom, Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center. $75 (all materials included).
Sunday, December 1
Holiday Open House with Host Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Jefferson (Bill Barker) will be pleased to greet you as part of this open-house tour of Monticello from 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. $5
Monticello Holiday Classic 5K
Join in the festivity and fun during the 4th Annual Monticello Holiday Classic 5K and Deck the Halls Kids Dash! This family-oriented 5K begins at the East Walk of Monticello and ends at the Thomas Jefferson Visitor Center and Smith Education Center. Kids 12 and under can enjoy the Deck the Halls Kids Dash, a loop around the West Lawn within the shadows of Monticello. Pre-registration is suggested, but day-of registration is available. 7-9am. $30 for adults ($40 day of race), $10 for kids.
Handmade for the Holidays
Handmade for the Holidays at The Shop at Monticello is your holiday destination for one-of-a-kind handcrafted gifts this season! Meet artisans, sample holiday treats, and shop for gifts made in Virginia. Craft demonstrations, beeswax candle making, and more. 12-4pm. FREE.
December 7, 8, 14, 15
Monticello Gingerbread House Family Workshop
Embrace your inner architect during our My Monticello Gingerbread House Family Workshop. Kids and grownups alike will enjoy this icing intense program. Try your hand at creating your own architectural masterpiece, just like Mr. Jefferson! Escape the hustle and bustle of the outside world, and enjoy special family time during this two-hour workshop. Fuel your creativity with hot chocolate and cookies as you work together to craft a hand-made addition to your home’s holiday décor. Recommended for families with children ages seven and up. Children must be accompanied by an adult. 2-4pm. $49 for a family pass (admits up to 4 people and includes supplies).
December 7, 14, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Holiday Evening Tours
Monticello’s small-group house tours, which include the Dome Room, offer visitors an intimate look at how the holidays were celebrated in Jefferson’s time. 5:30, 5:45, and 6pm. $45
December 14, 15
UNESCO Anniversary $5 Admission
In celebration of 26 years as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, we're going back to 1987 ticket prices ($5) for 2 days December.